This microscope is
equipped with a six component objective lens where
various combinations of the components can be used to
vary the magnification. It is also supplied with four
eyepieces, a Schiek type compressor, stage forceps, one
(of originally three) aperture stops, a live box, and a
sub-stage aperture wheel with one aperture containing a
screw-in condensing lens. The glass surfaced stage has
orthogonal calibrated motions and is capable of
complete 360 degree rotation along the optical axis.
Located under the stage is a lever that can raise or
lower the aperture wheel. The circular base has three
leveling screws. When set up for use, as shown in the photos,
the microscope measures 15¾-inches in height. The main
focusing adjustment is by rack and pinion while the fine focus is by
micrometer screw located at the base of the limb.
The microscope is signed
on the limb: Pistor & Martins, Berlin, No. 667.
Carl Philipp Heinrich Pistor (1778-1847) began
production of scientific instruments in the early 19th
century. By around 1824, Pistor was in a partnership
with Friedrich Wilhem Schiek (1790-1870). The firm
Pistor & Schiek lasted until 1836 at which time
Pistor worked alone until he established a partnership
with his son-in-law Carl Otto Albrecht Martins
(1816-1871). The firm continued under the name Pistor
& Martins until it terminated in 1873. Pistor &
Martins are best known for their astronomical, surveying, and
navigation instruments while the microscopes made by
the firm are less well known.