MICROSCOPE-Jappanded cast iron foot, with
brass pillars which support the axis thus allowing
the body to be inclined to any angle; brass arm;
coarse adjustment by rack and pinion; fine
adjustment by our new patent frictionless motion.
Plain and concave mirrors hanging to a swinging bar
so as to allow the most oblique light for high
powers, and so that the distance from the object
may be varied; sub-stage in which the revolving
diaphragm or other accessories may be fitted; two
eyepeices, viz: A and C, two objectives viz ;
3/4-inch and 1/5-and the latter of 108 degrees
angular aperture, resolving easily P.
Angulatum by central light; magnifying powers from
50 to 375 diameters. Eye-piece micrometer, camera
lucida. In an upright Walnut case, with handle,
lock and key, draw for
Lomb Optical Company's Fitting for Neutral Tint
Camera Lucida.- Fig. 163 shows the fitting
adopted by the Bausch and Lomb Optical Co. It is
made of vulcanite, and the half ring to which the
frame holding the neutral tint glass is fixed fits
on the cap of the eye-piece. The vulcanite is
sufficiently elastic to obtain a good grip of the
The microsocpe was
designed and made by Ernst Gundlach while employed
by Bausch & Lomb.
This microscope was the property of Arthur Claassen (1859-1920),
who was well-known as a successful choral and
orchestral conductor. It was purchased from his
granddaughter for this collection.