This Culpeper type
microscope is signed on the stage Dollond, London. It dates from the late 18th to early
19th century. Microscopes such as this are derived from
the instruments of the earlier century made by Edmund
Culpeper (1670-1737) and his contemporaries.
This microscope is stored
in a pyramidal shaped case measuring 17.5-inches in height. The microscope is mounted on a mahogany
base with a drawer having three scrolled legs
supporting the stage. The mirror is attached
to a boss in the base. The circular stage has a central
aperture for illumination by transmitted light. Three
additional scrolled supports rise from the stage to
carry the main tube. Focusing is achieved by sliding
the inner tube carrying the optics.
Among the surviving
accessories are five numbered objectives (one lacking its lens)
a Bonnani spring stage, a small ivory talc box, a Lieberkuhn reflector
stored in a brass box, the nosepiece fitting that attaches the Lieberkuhn,
a live-box, a fish plate, a concave glass disk, and two ivory sliders that hold multiple specimens.