This microscope was made by F. W. Schieck, Berlin. It has the serial number 7903, which would date its manufacture to around 1884. It is in the continental style constructed with lacquered and nickel plated brass. It came supplied with a single objective and two eyepieces. An aperture wheel is built into the stage. It is capable of inclination.
Friedrich Wilhelm Schieck (1790 - 1870, also at times, spelled Schiek) was the first member of his family to produce scientific instruments. After serving an apprenticeship, he moved to Berlin where he worked with Carl Philipp Heinrich Pistor (1778-1847). By 1824, he was a full partner with Pistor. At that time, instruments were signed Pistor & Schiek. By 1837, the partners separated and Schiek began to produce his instruments under his own name; the microscopes were usually marked “Schiek in Berlin”. Beginning around 1860, the father began to work with his son, Friedrich Wilhelm Hermann Schieck, who by 1865 assumed full management of the firm under the name F. W. Schieck Optisches Institut. The elder Schieck died in 1870. The son died in 1916, but the firm continued well into the 20th century.