This microscope is by F. W. Schieck, Berlin. It has the serial number 7982, which would date its manufacture to around 1884. It is in the continental style constructed with lacquered and nickel plated brass and having a dark green iron cast base. Among the accessories supplied with this microscope are four objectives, two eyepieces, an aperture stop holder with two stops, a triple objective changer, and a sub-stage focusing condenser having a slide of apertures below.
Friedrich Wilhelm Schieck (1790 - 1870 also, at times, spelled Schiek) was the first member of his family to produce scientific instruments. After serving an apprenticeship, he moved to Berlin where he worked with Carl Philipp Heinrich Pistor (1778-1847). By 1824, he was a full partner with Pistor. At that time, instruments were signed Pistor & Schiek. By 1837, the partners separated and Schiek began to produce his instruments under his own name; the microscopes were usually marked “Schiek in Berlin”. Beginning around 1860, the father began to work with his son, Friedrich Wilhelm Hermann Schieck, who by 1865 assumed full management of the firm under the name F. W. Schieck Optisches Institut. The elder Schieck died in 1870. The son died in 1916, but the firm continued well into the 20th century.