The microscope came
equipped with two eyepieces and four objectives
numbered 0, 4, and 7, and 9. Within the tube is a
Bertrand lens and an analyzing Nicol prism, both on
sliding mountings. The focusing sub-stage holds a
polarizer with a three element condenser. The top two
elements can be moved aside for low power work using
a lever mounted on the side of the stage.
The following was
extracted form The Journal of the Royal
Microscopical Society, 1892
Microscopes - The Fuess model No. II. (fig.
68) is similar to the larger instrument described in
this Journal, 1891, p. 393. The stand can be inclined
to the horizontal. The rotating stage is divided into
360º, with two verniers reading to 5 minutes. It can be
fixed in any position by means of a lever. The
polarizer has a rack and pinion motion. In its socket
fit the various illuminating apparatus, which can be
centered by slide pieces provided with screws.
Arrangements for obtaining convergent and parallel
light can be inserted. The mechanical stage (fig. 72,
p. 669) is similar to that of the larger model, but has
no micrometer measuring arrangement. All the special
eye-pieces and other accessories of the model No. I.
can be used with this instrument. Model No. III. (fig.
69) does not differ very much from the proceeding. The
stage is provided with cross-divisions for the
orientation of the preparation; but if required the
mechanical stage of model No. II can also be applied to
this instrument. The draw-tube is only movable by hand,
and carries no millimeter divisions.
The tail of the microscope is engraved with the initials O.S.U. along with a corresponding inventory number. The same markings are stamped on the top of the storage case. Evidently, at one time, this instrument was in use at Ohio State University. Sometime in the 1980's Ernest Ehlers, a professor of Mineralogy at Ohio State University, purchased this microscope when the University was disposing of older equipment. It was obtained for this collection from his widow.