J. & W. Grunow, New York #499
Binocular microscope with Varley Stage, c. 1870
The accessories consist of five Grunow objectives (2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 inch), two pairs of oculars, analyzer prism (screws onto the end of an eyepiece), substage polarizer, camera lucida, achromatic condenser, stage forceps, live-box, brass bound stage micrometer, and a free standing bullseye condenser.
This microscope dates from around 1870. The Grunow brothers, Julius and William, emigrated from Germany to New York around 1849. They started in the scientific instrument business by first working for the optician Benjamin Pike of that city. By 1854, they began their own operation in New Haven CT where they concentrated on the production of microscopes. By 1864, they were back in New York. Some years later, the partnership ended. J. Grunow continued on to produce microscopes up to around 1892. The total output of the Grunows was limited in comparison to some other contemporary firms; on the basis of the observed serial numbers, they manufactured just over one thousand microscopes in total.
Home Page-Antique Microscopes Site Index