The microscope is signed
on one side of the limb J. Grunow, New York having the serial number,
984, engraved on the other side. It dates from around 1890. It came supplied with two Grunow objectives marked 2/3 and 1/6-inch and a single eyepiece. An aperture wheel is built into the stage. It has the typical continental form of the period.
The Grunow brothers, Julius and William,
emigrated from Germany to New York around 1849. They
started in the scientific instrument business by first
working for the optician Benjamin Pike of that
city. By 1854, they began their own operation in
New Haven CT where they concentrated on the production
of microscopes. By 1864, they were back in New York.
Some years later, the partnership ended. J. Grunow
continued on to produce microscopes up to around 1892.
The total output of the Grunows was limited in
comparison to some other contemporary firms; on the
basis of the observed serial numbers, they manufactured
just over one thousand microscopes in total.