Horne Thornthwaite & Wood 123 Newgate Street London

Early achromatic monocular microscope

c.1848

Horne Thornthwaite &   Wood 123 Newgate Street London c.1848

Horne Thornthwaite &   Wood 123 Newgate Street London c.1848

Horne Thornthwaite &   Wood 123 Newgate Street London c.1848

Horne Thornthwaite &   Wood 123 Newgate Street London c.1848

Horne Thornthwaite &   Wood 123 Newgate Street London c.1848. Stored in the case.

Horne Thornthwaite &   Wood 123 Newgate Street London c.1848. The wood case.

Horne, Thornthwaite & Wood advertisement from 1845.

Horn hornthwaite and Wood advertisement 1845

The main focus utilized with this microscope operates on the stage by rack and pinion. The tube remains stationary and has a fine adjustment operated by the milled knob attached to the tube which moves the nosepiece. Another microscope by the same makers with a similar focusing arrangement can be found elsewhere on this website. 

The firm was established around 1840 by the purchase of the instrument business of Edward Palmer, London. Instruments by this firm had the signature Horne, Thornthwaite, & Wood, London from c. 1840-1860 after which, the  instruments were signed Horne & Thornthwaite, London (c. 1860-1880). By 1886 Wood rejoined the firm.

See this extensive essay on the firm

Home Page-Antique Microscopes       Site Index

www.antique-microscopes.com