of 35mm diameter. It is provided with draw tube for
stanard oculars, the draw tube being graduated in
single millimeters, every tenth line numbered.
Adjustment<-Coarse adjustment is by rack and
pinion. The fine adjustment consists of a sensitive and
precise but extremely rugged micrometer screw to
withstand rough handling to which microscopes used in
travelling are naturally subjected. One micrometer head
is equipped with divided drum with vernier which
records the lateral displacement of the microscope tube
within 0.004 mm and consequently permits accurate
measurements of the thickness of specimens.
Stage-Of metal, completely covered with
vulcanite; measures 90x90 mm; provided with stage
clips. It is mounts to a strong inclinable bracket to
permit its folding parallel to the pillar.
Substage-Simplified model with two-lens
condenser N.A. 1.20 in swing-out mounting, having iris
diaphragms above and below the condenser, provided with
quick acting screw for raising and lowering the
condenser; the substage is swung out of optical axis
when the screw, reaches the limit of its downward
motion; mirror with plano and concave surfaces has
universal adjustment and is mounted to a swinging arm
for oblique illumination.
Base, Pillar and
base is of foldable pattern. The pillar has a double
joint and friction device to hold the stand at any
desired angle while stops are provided for horizontal
and vertical positions. The arm is of heavy curved form
furnishing ample space for large specimens.
Finish-In alcohol-proof lacquer
Case-Covered with strong leather, velvet
lined, corners protected by metal trimmings.
This microscope was purchased from the family of the original owner, Dr. Cedric E. Filkins, MD (1888-1975). Dr. Filkins graduated from Syracuse University School of Medicine in 1914 and completed post graduate training at the Columbia University School of Medicine in New York during the 1914-1916 period. He served with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Germany during WWI with the rank of Captain. By 1920, he established a private general practice in the suburban Philadelphia area and was a staff physician at Jefferson and Cooper Hospitals. He was involved with volunteer activities during WWII. He retired from active practice around 1970.