The instrument came with
a complete set of accessories consisting of two
objectives with brass canisters, a 1/3 and a 1/12 inch,
and three eye-pieces numbered 1, 2, and 3. Below the
stage is a wheel of apertures.
On the basis of the
1866 Merz price list shown below, this instrument
conforms to Stativ Nr. 2, Microscop Nr. 4.
The Merz firm was
founded in 1839 by Georg Merz (1793-1867) after
taking over the business started by Joseph
Fraunhofer. After a brief partnership with Joseph
Mahler, the firm continued on with Georg's sons
Ludwig (1817-58) and Sigmund (1824-1908). By 1858,
instruments were signed as G. & S. Merz. In later
years the firm was run by Sigmund's cousins Jakob and
Matthias Merz. See this short biography of Georg Merz (in
The following entry is
in the Merz delivery books for the microscope with
serial number 726:
Lenoir in Wien
1 Microscop Nr.4D = 4-7....Nro.726 ...77 fl.