Friedrich Wilhelm Schieck (1790 - 1870 also, at times, spelled Schiek) was the first member of his family to produce scientific instruments. After serving an apprenticeship, he moved to Berlin where he worked with Carl Philipp Heinrich Pistor (1778-1847). By 1824, he was a full partner with Pistor. At that time, instruments were signed Pistor & Schiek. By 1837, the partners separated and Schiek began to produce his instruments under his own name; the microscopes were usually marked “Schiek in Berlin”. Beginning around 1860, the father began to work with his son, Friedrich Wilhelm Hermann Schieck, who by 1865 assumed full management of the firm under the name F. W. Schieck Optisches Institut. The elder Schieck died in 1870. The son died in 1916, but the firm continued well into the 20th century.
Note that the 1859
drum (left) differs slightly from the
1842 model (right).