The Model IIIE microscope with large mechanical stage, c. 1910
Extract from the 1913 Zeiss catalog:
c) Stand III.
Stand III differs from Stand I in that it has not the wide tube of the latter. Hence projection lenses of very low power can either not at all be used with it or this can only be done by sacrificing the outer portion of the pencil of light transmitted by these lenses. When used for photo-micrographic projection or photo-micrography it can be so employed with microscope objectives only. In its adaptability for ocular observation it satisfies, on
the other hand, the most exacting requirements. In the place of the polished foot it is fitted with a horseshoe foot which is neatly coated with crystal lacquer.
The stand is so arranged that it may initially be acquired with an equipment comprising the indispensable components only and subsequently supplemented by the addition of other object stages or complements to the illuminating apparatus.
The stand is supplied with or without Revolving Nosepiece. as may be desired.
For detailed Description see our booklet Mikro 93
The storage case bears a plaque with the name of a previous owner,
Dr. David G. Yee. It was purchased in Bombay around 1950 as a gift for Dr. Yee and
therefore, he is not the original owner. Written in faded ink on the bottom
of the magnification chart is a signature and the name of an institution: St Francis
College, Bombay (established in 1859); possibly a location where this instrument was used.
A more direct indication of the original owner of this microscope can be obtained
from the extract, shown below, taken from the Zeiss delivery books. It is stated that
the microscope was delivered to Dr. M. V. Mehta in Bombay on Jan. 12, 1910. Dr.
Mehta practiced obstetrics in Bombay. He was chief medical officer of the N. Wadia
Maternity Hospital in that city. In an article by J. Jhirad, M.D. entitled Evolution
of Obstetrics in Western Inidia, 1960, the following was written:
"Dr. M. V. Mehta qualified in 1908 and will be
especially remembered for the stimulus he gave to progressive maternity work
at the N. W. Maternity Hospital which he was instrumental in founding, and for
the organization of maternity and child welfare schemes under the Bombay Presidency
Infant Welfare Society (now the Bombay Mothers and Children Welfare Society). He
also opened the Ruxmini Lying-in Hospital in 1910 to suit the convenience of class