Queen & Co., Phila., # 2215
The Acme No. 5 Model Microscope. c. 1893
Excerpt from the Pocket Catalogue of Microscopes, Magnifiers, Microscopical Accessories, Mounting Materials, etc., James W. Queen & Co., 1892
THE ACME No. 5 MICROSCOPE
Is an instrument of thorough construction, with adjustments smooth and perfect in action, the lenses being of especial excellence and clearness of definition.
We recommend this microscope as an efficient instrument for general school use, in showing the tissues of plants, circulation of blood, and multitudes of other interesting objects.
Simplicity, strength, and solidity, with low cost, are especially claimed for this microscope. The base is a heavy tripod, so proportioned that the microscope is very firm whether vertical or inclined. A revolving diaphragm and large concave mirror with complete motions, are mounted beneath the stage. For additional illumination of opaque objects, the mirror may be swung above the stage.
By means of the draw tube, the full English tube-length of ten inches may be obtained.
The plan of constructing the fine adjustment has the following invaluable features which especially fit it for classwork in laboratories of high schools and colleges:
First (and principally). Perfection of action; the upper plate carrying the object must respond instantly to the movement of the screw, upward by positive action, downward by the spring of the plate; and without any lateral or side motion; these, of course, are the essential features of a good fine adjustment.
Second (and important). This perfect action will continue as at first; as there are no joints to wear loose or become strained, there can be developed no lost motion nor lateral ;motion, by wear or rough handling, all excepting the screw being made practically one solid piece.
The Acme line of microscopes was first introduced in 1879 by the firm Sidle and Poalk of Philadelphia. The first microscope made by the firm was called "The Acme", an example of which with serial number 17 can be found on this website. By 1880, the firm was located in Lancaster Pennsylvania under the name John W. Sidle & Co. or the "Acme Optical Works". Subsequently, the entire output of the Acme factory was consigned to the retailer and manufacturer of scientific instruments, James W. Queen of Philadelphia. Five models of the Acme microscopes were produced numbered 2-6. The No. 5 on this page has a rack and pinion main focus and a fine focus by tilting the upper stage plate. A less expensive model was also produced having a push-tube main focus.
Home Page-Antique Microscopes Site Index