This microscope was
offered in the Catalog of Lerebours et
was first described by Lerebours in his 1839
publication entitled Description d'un
microscope achromatique simplifié). Versions were made with and without the rack and pinion focusing adjustment. The stage bullseye condenser was an option, which could be supplied with either version.
Noel Jean Lerebours
(1761-1840) was founder of the optical firm that bears
his name. He was succeeded by his adopted son Nicolas Marie
Paymal Lerebours (1807-1873). In 1845, a partnership
with Marc Francois Louis Secretan (1804-1867) was
established. Subsequently, instruments made by the firm
were signed Lerebours et Secretan à Paris. The
microscope shown here predates this partnership.
An extensive essay covering the Lerebours and Secrétan firm is online.