Set of 6 aplanatic loupes with handle and loupe stand, c. 1880
Retailed by Murray & Heath, 69 Jermyn St.,from 43 Piccadilly
Extracted from D. Lardner,
The Microscope, 1856:
To relieve the artisan from the fatigue of holding the magnifier in the eye-socket or in the hand, a stand with a moveable socket is sometimes resorted to, such as that represented in fig. 8. A horizontal arm slides upon a vertical rod, upon which it can be fixed at any desired height by a tightening screw. This arm consists of two joints, connected together by a ball and socket, by which they can be placed at any desired inclination; at the extremity of the lower arm a fork supports a ring-shaped socket, made to receive the magnifier.
Advertisment from the Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society, 1880
(Note the red arrow)
The following was extracted from The Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society, 1880.
Steinheil’s “Aplanatische Loupen.” — These achromatic triplet lenses are constructed so as to be used at a greater focal distance from the object than most of the existing high-power lenses. They are “Aplanatic,” as their name implies, and it is claimed that they give excellent definition over the whole field, even to such an extent that they may be tilted to almost any angle without distortion, so that the highest powers may be readily used. The different focal lengths of the lenses mounted for the pocket are 1 5/8, 1 1/16, 11/16, 1/2, and 3/8 magnifying from 5 1/2 to 24 times.
They can be fitted in bronzed brass cupped mounts with holder, for dissecting purposes, with magnifying powers from to 3 1/2 to 24.