The microscope is
signed on two places, on the tube "Ernst Gundlach"
and on the base "Gundlach". A
similar microscope sold by Yawman & Erbe of
Rochester N.Y. is also represented in this
collection. It has a brass base instead of
the cast iron base that is on the microscope shown on this
page. The microscope shown on this page came supplied with two Gundlach
objectives and two eyepieces. The main focus of the microscope
can be accomplished by slip-tube or by rack and pinion, while the fine focus utilizes a micrometer screw mechanism. The
mirror can be positioned at any angle relative to the
stage including above the stage for illumination of
opaque objects. The draw-tube is nickel plated.
In the 1882 Gundlach catalog, this model was called the Student’s Microscope No. 1.
It was described in the catalog as follows:
The mirrors are plane and concave, the latter being two inches in diameter.
The mirrors swing above the stage to any angle for the illumination of opaque
objects, and the mirror bar is graduated in five-degree spaces. The device for
keeping the friction uniform on the mirror-bar is a new one. It is a contrivance
that keeps in order and is durable. There are three adjustments: rack-and-pinion,
sliding adjustment. and micrometer screw. The rack, which is on a double-V is
very satisfactory. It is new in design and perfect in work. The fine adjustment
is an entirely new invention. It is simpler and much less expensive than the
roller motion adjustment on the College Microscope. It will be found satisfactory,
and fully adequate to the work it is intended to do. It is worked by a milled
head on top of the pillar, and it has a very much greater extent of motion than
the fine adjustments of other makers. This stand was originally devised with
reference to receiving a glass stage. A glass stage with simple slide carrier
has been devised which can be added to the stand at small expense, making it
equal to those of greater pretensions at a much lower price.
Philip Yawman and Gustav
Erbe were both employees of Bausch & Lomb. In 1880,
they left that firm to start their own business in
Rochester New York. For the greater part of the life of
the firm, Yawman & Erbe primarily were involved in
the manufacture of office furniture and equipment.
However, for a very brief period in the early 1880's
they manufactured microscopes. It appears that the
production of microscopes was in collaboration with
Ernst Gundlach, another former B&L employee. It is
clear that it was Gundlach who produced the optics, but
it is less clear which firm actually manufactured the
stands. Both firms often sold the same model
microscopes and, in fact, there are microscopes that
bear dual signatures by both firms. For example, see
"Nonpareil" model microscopes in
this collection. Additionally, the walnut storage cases for all
these microscopes are distinctive and identical.