When found, the microscope lacked its original objectives. Two Hartnack objectives were added to complete the microscope. Schrauer microscopes were often supplied with lenses from this firm. Schrauer never made his own optics. Sometime in the early history of this microscope the substage was upgraded in a professional manner. Originally, the substage consisted of a screw-in adapter which held an aperture stop holder having three stops. This was converted to a focusing Abbe condenser which allowed the use four aperture stops below the lens of the condenser. The condenser was arranged to allow off-center movement of the apertures by rack and pinion in order to utilize oblique illumination.
The tube of the
microscope is engraved:
Joseph E. McKenzie, M.D.
by the Faculty of the
New York Homeopathic
Medical College and Hospital
for the second highest grades of
the three years graded course
April 7th 1892
The following note
appeared in The Medical Visitor, Vol. III,
exercises of the New York Homoeopathic Medical
College and Hospital were held April 7th. Exercises
opened with prayer by the Rev. Dr. Bolles. Prof. T.
F. Allen, dean of the faculty, delivered the
introductory address. Judge Rufus B. Cowing,
president of the board of trustees, conferred the
degrees. Dr. L. L. Danforth, secretary of the
faculty, awarded the following prizes: First
faculty prize, a microscope, valued at $100, for
the highest average during the entire three-years'
course, to John T. White of Salt Lake City; second
faculty prize, a microscope, valued at $50, for the
next highest average, Joseph E. McKenzie, of
Caledonia; the Wales prize, a case of surgical
instruments, for the highest standing in all the
junior and middle studies, Frederick W. Wall, of
the senior class. There were thirty five